What is Zip Books?
The Kings County Library has been selected by the California State Library to participate in a project called “Zip Books for Rural Libraries”, which provides a direct to you book delivery service. Over 68 library jurisdictions across the State of California are participating in the Zip Books project. The Zip Books project is funded through a statewide project of the NorthNet Library System and is supported with California Library Services Act Funds.
Zip Books is a free service for customers to request books and audiobooks that are not in the Kings County Library's collection. The item is delivered to your home for a three-week checkout, free of charge, using Amazon Prime.
Online Zip Books Request will be processed in the order which they are received between Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM.
Kings County Library customers can have 5 open Zip Book requests at a time. After the requested Zip Book is returned via library book drop, then any additional requests will be submitted with a maximum of 6 requests per month.
Zip Books should be returned 3 weeks from the date received. Failure to return a Zip Book will result in a fee covering the cost of the book being charged to library account.
Guidelines for Zip Book item requests:
- Books (regular or large print) that cost up to $50 (pre-tax) that the Kings County Library does not own are eligible for Zip Books. Audiobooks or foreign-language items that cost up to $75 (pre-tax) that the Kings County Library does not own are eligible for Zip Books. Books published within the past twelve months, Kindle eBooks, Audible audiobooks, videos, or DVDs are NOT eligible. No pre-publication items are eligible for request.
- Best sellers, including Adult Fiction, are now allowed up to 3 copies only
- Duplicate titles or items already owned by our system can now be purchased up to 3 additional copies, not counting what is already owned.
Zip Books customers are asked to return Zip Book items via library book drops through the following process:
- On a piece of paper, write down the name and library card number of the person who requested the Zip Book.
- Place the sheet and returned Zip Book inside a clean bag.
- Securely close the bag.
- Place the bag in any Kings County Library book drop.
Q: How does Zip Books work?
A: If you request a book or audiobook that the Kings County Library does not own, the library will try to purchase the item and have it shipped directly to you rather than borrow the item from another library. When you are finished with your item, you simply return it with the accompanying gift slip to your local library branch.
Q: What items are eligible for Zip Books?
A: Books (regular or large print) that cost up to $50 (pre-tax) that the Kings County Library does not own are eligible for Zip Books. Audiobooks or foreign-language items that cost up to $75 (pre-tax) that the Kings County Library does not own are eligible for Zip Books. Books published within the past twelve months, Kindle eBooks, Audible audiobooks, videos, or DVDs are NOT eligible. No pre-publication items or text books are eligible for request.
Q: Who can use Zip Books?
A: Registered borrowers in good standing of the Kings County Library are eligible.
Q: How do I use Zip Books?
A: Complete the online Zip Books request form (see weblink above). After you complete the online Zip Books request form, library staff will try to purchase the requested item through Amazon and have the item shipped directly to you. Library staff will notify you if we are unable to fill your request through Zip Books. If your Zip Book is approved, the order will be placed with Amazon and the item will be shipped to your house. Please note that Amazon is currently experiencing shipping delays. Once the book arrives at your home, you will have it for a three-week checkout.
Q: May I request more than one item through Zip Books?
A: You may request another item when you return the one that was shipped to you.
Q: What happens to the book/audiobook after it is returned?
A: The Zip Books Team will review the item and decide whether or not to add the item to the library’s collection or set it aside for future Friends of the Library book sales.
Q: What if I have more questions?
A: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.