The Avenal Branch started in a cupboard at the home of Mrs. Lillian Evans in 1923. The cupboard is now in the home of Mrs. Evans' daughter, Mrs. Boyd Morris and the library now fills an entire building. When Avenal became a township, the "library" was moved to a store and post office building on Skyline Blvd. Next it was moved to an upstairs building on "Main Street" (Kings St.) next to Dr. M.O. Wilen's dentist office. The next time the library moved, it was across the alley from another post office building on Fresno Street (1953) where it remained for 28 years. On March 23, 1981, the library was moved to the new government building complex at 501 Kings Street. (Extracted from an article in the Coalinga Courier August 28, 1985 by Sharon Miller) The Avenal Branch Library was expanded in the summer of 1989. Top check-outs are picture books; DVD’s and children’s non-fiction.
The City of Avenal has about 15,000 citizens. Avenal was started thanks to oil discovery in the Kettleman Hills in the latter 1920's. The town has several large employers including the Avenal State Prison, City of Avenal and the Reef-Sunset School District. The city's motto is "the oasis in the sun." Avenal has pride in the town's heritage and every year hosts "Old Timer's Day" at the city park.